Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 1 Barefoot

Today was my first time going out the door, ready to run, carrying my shoes in hand. I went for my normal warm up walk barefoot. Immediately noticed the texture of the asphalt under my feet. Felt every little stone so moved more into the line of where cars drive. So glad it was EARLY morning and no traffic plus I was in the neighborhood so there's not a lot of traffic anyways. I experimented with lifting my feet, knees, where and how I put down my foot. It was a real eye opener. Finally reached the street corner where I always start my running and pumped up the tempo. Now I'm running, on pavement, in bare feet. Who would have known!!!! My shoes still in hand as I know I can't complete my whole run in bare feet. I have no idea how much of it I can or should do. Barefoot Rick told me to do my first mile barefoot then evaluate. So here I go!!!

The bumpiness of the asphalt is bugging me. I can feel where each stone pops up above the actual asphalt. Then the road changes, it's now the darker, smoother, I'll say higher quality road. It feels so smooth and wonderful on my feet. But that doesn't last very long, back to the bumpy stuff soon after. I had been avoiding the concrete along the side of the street because I was always told that asphalt is easier to run on, but the lure of the smoothness draws me in. I'm in love with my run once again. AHHH so smooth and easy now.
Mile 1 down and I look at my shoes, I'm hot, my feet are always hot when I wear shoes, I don't want to put them on so I continue.

My total barefoot experience was 1.7 miles. I did put on my shoes when I noticed several cars parked on the side of the road making my concrete path undoable and I would have to divert back to the bumpy pavement.

My learning experience didn't end there. Once I put on my shoes of course I immediately felt the heat trapped against my feet. I make a not so happy face but continue trodding along. I pay attention to my footfalls. I really HAVE to heal strike. I never noticed it before but all I've read about shoes making you strike with your heal first was right. I try to land properly and it's like running on tippy toes. I continue to 2.5 miles then just take off my shoes again and cool down walk. I didn't run my entire 3 miles today but I really enjoyed my bare feet.

I now know I need to toughen up the skin on my feet. My next barefoot run will not be any longer, it may be a little shorter. We'll see on Thursday :) I do need to get my 3 miles in on Thursday though as my training for 10K continues as I prepare my feet to be able to handle the surfaces.
I did learn that a bumpy surface is more difficult than a hard smooth surface. So glad I didn't attempt the grass, though the grass is wonderful for my cool down walks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment