Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Todays Run

Well I'm moving my blog away from weight control towards my running, which anyone who knows me knows it's my latest passion. I'm actually researching on becoming a barefoot runner. I want to get some Vibram Five Finger shoes, they are like gloves for your feet with a protective sole but not restricting. I can't wait to try them out. The only thing that makes me nervous about them is that the toes are separate. Though I think this is good for your foots form and being able to climb and such, I'm just afraid it will feel so foreign for my toes to have that bit of fabric between them. I think I'll be able to get used to them and run in them though.

On to todays run. I went 5.63 miles!!! I set my timer for 1 hour on my phone and just took off running. I was planning on doing my regular route pretty much backwards starting with my mile #3 and then moving beyond after I completed my normal mile #1.
That didn't happen. I started my #3 mile and there was a road which I thought was a cul-de-sac that I always skipped so I went down it. It was an actual road so I turned at the corner and it went out to another fairly unfamiliar road to me. I knew where it was and have walked it before with my little one but I hadn't incorporated it in my runs as of yet. So I ran the streets and loops until I got back into my neighborhood then proceeded to do my normal #1 mile. When I got down to my turn around point I decided to just turn down the street instead. There is an up hill right after my turn around point and I was avoiding it, my motives were completely selfish not really adventure or motivation lol. I went across the highway then turned around and started heading homewards. I knew I had been out for a while and I didn't want to get further from home. I started running up a street parallel to the one I normally run. I usually avoid it because it's a busier street without any side shoulders to run on. But today was my long run and I wanted new scenery.
Finally I saw my street corner ahead....and my 1 hour beeper goes off. I try to continue running but it's like everything shut down once I realized that I had been running for an entire hour. I was afraid to continue because "injury" is always in the back of my mind and I want to avoid it as much as possible. How does one go beyond the fear of injury and really test their ability?? I'm just a beginner and don't want to push too far but I do want to see what I'm made of. Well I got 5.63 miles in 1 hour which turns out to be a pace of 10:50 minute miles...wooo I broke below 11 minutes for my first long run. Those hills that I normally do on mile #2 really do slow me down A LOT.
I took off my shoes for my cool down walk. Now heavenly is being able to walk barefoot in dew covered grass after a long hot run!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment