Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Freedom Run 2010 and Kigo

I just got home from this years Freedom Run. I had signed up for the 10K but chickened out at the last minute and went for the 2 miler again this year. My goal was to get a sub 20 minute 2 miler. I almost reached my goal. My finish time was 20:14, and I wore my new kigo star's :)
I'm not talking about shoes at the beginning though, this is dedicated to the volunteers for the race first. I love to run races. I don't stand a chance of winning any with a 10ish minute mile pace but I love the atmosphere and I can completely race myself. I did a LOT better than last year. It was easy to run the whole thing without a single walk break. What is it that makes a race what it is? What separates it from an ordinary run? It's the spectators, the other participants, the volunteers, and the organizers. It's amazing to see a race all put together and coming off so smoothly. I bet it doesn't seem smooth to the organizers when they are putting it together but they really got this Freedom Run down pat. I love it. I want to publicly thank anyone who has ever volunteered at a race for all you have done. You may see it as just holding a cup of water but if you weren't there holding that cup of water for me then I wouldn't be able to be running this race. You may think you are just standing around to be sure runners and walkers don't get obstructed by traffic but you keep us focused and whenever we see one of you our energy soars. THANK YOU.


Now on to my Kigos. I've been wearing them around the house for a bit over the past week. The first 2 days I was unsure if I was going to keep them. I ordered a size 7 as all the reviews I've read said that they tend to run small. I normally wear either a 6 or 6.5 shoe, depending on the make. Since they don't have half sizes I decided 7 would probably be best. They are loose. I have to keep the inserts inside them, which I did not plan to do, and I have to wear some light socks with them, which I also didn't plan to do. I had a difficult time finding some acceptable socks to go with them.
I ordered the stars because they are open on top of the foot and I want my feet to breathe as much as possible. I HATE SWEATY FEET! I like the mary jane style as it secures the shoe to my foot. These shoes arrived within 2 days of my order. They were shipped the very night that I had ordered. After I ordered I read a review that gave a discount and I contacted customer support asking about it and they had no problem applying the discount to my order, even though I ordered before knowing of the discount. They were super nice.
I took the shoe out of the box and first thing I noticed was that silly hook at the top of it. I read the instructions and learned that it was for storage purposes, and easy carrying. Well I did fold the shoes in half and play with the hooks but to be honest I won't be using them except maybe if I happen to decide to travel without wearing them I'll hook them together so the pair stays together. I honestly plan to wear these for everything I wear shoes for though.
I then noticed the biodegradable storage bag, how innovative!! I was impressed and wondered why they aren't used more often instead of those throw away plastic bags. Thanks kigo for thinking of the world we live in and being a responsible manufacturer.
Even with the inserts my arches don't feel overly supported and obstructed. My feet can breathe and they really made my 2 miler a breeze. I really do want to try a size 6 but I'm still afraid they may be too small. Though maybe someday if they are offered in a store I can get to at least I'll be able to try them on.
These shoes soles are super flexible and they seem very durable. I am going away to the beach this weekend, and to the mountains next. We will be strolling the beach together and hiking some trails together and of course doing some running at both places!!! My new kigos and I will be doing a lot together over the next several months. After our travels we will be training for our first half marathon together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment